Home » Archive of journals » Issue 3(31) 2018 » Conceptual principles for creating a polar drifting research platform
CONCEPTUAL PRINCIPLES FOR CREATING A POLAR DRIFTING RESEARCH PLATFORMJOURNAL: 2018, ¹3(31), p. 65-75
RUBRIC: Shipbuilding for the Arctic
AUTHORS: A.S. Makarov, V.A. Likhomanov, V.T. Sokolov, A.V. Chernov, V.N. Polovinkin, O.Y. Timofeyev, Y.B. Mogutin, Y.A. Simonov
ORGANIZATIONS: Krylov State Research Centre, State Research Center "Arctic and Antarctic Research Institute"
The article was received on: 25.06.2018
Keywords: geopolitical interests, drifting research platform, drifting station “North Pole”, fundamental and applied researches, economic activity
Bibliographic description: A.S. Makarov, V.A. Likhomanov, V.T. Sokolov, A.V. Chernov, V.N. Polovinkin, O.Y. Timofeyev, Y.B. Mogutin, Y.A. Simonov Conceptual principles for creating a polar drifting research platform. The Arctic: ecology and economy, 2018, no. 3(31), pp. 65-75. DOI:10.25283/2223-4594-2018-3-65-75. (In Russian).
The study and development of the Arctic region is one of the most important geopolitical interests of Russia. The Arctic should become the main strategic resource base of Russia and at the same time has strategic military importance for the national defense. Due to it is necessary to increase research actives in the Arctic region, which will continuously replenish the huge funds of knowledge about the Arctic accumulated in Russia.
Drifting stations “North pole” (NP) have been used as the traditional research tool of the Central Arctic for many years. However, the risks for the health and life of polar explorers, the loss of expensive equipment, environmental pollution, and the lack of opportunities to solve problems in the interests of national defense have resulted in searching alternative options. In this respect, the idea of using a drifting research platform, which in comparison with the drifting stations «North pole» has a number of significant advantages, in particular: the expansion of the range and quality of research to solve problems in the interests of fundamental science, economic activity and national defense; reducing the risks of emergency situations affecting the environment; ensuring safe and comfortable working and living conditions of personnel at commensurate costs.
The conceptual project of such platform was developed by Krylov State Research Centre with the participation of Arctic and Antarctic Research Institute (AARI) under the federal “Civil maritime equipment development” program. In the project were evaluated the main parameters of the platform, the configuration of research and special equipment, requirements for the accommodation of personnel, etc.
1. Kornilov N. A., Kessel’ S. A., Lukin V. V., Merkulov A. A., Sokolov V. T. Istorija organizacii i provedenija issledovanij s drejfujushhih l’dov. [The history of the organization and research from the drifting ice]. St. Petersburg, AANII, 2017, 743 p. (In Russian).
2. Frolov I. E. Okeanografija i morskoj led. [Oceanography and sea ice]. Moscow, St. Petersburg, Paulsen, 2011, 431 p. (In Russian).
3. Pravila klassifikacii i postrojki morskih sudov. [Rules for the Classification and Construction of Sea-Going Ships]. Vol. 1, 2. Ros. mor. registr sudohodstva. St. Petersburg, 2015. (In Russian).
4. Morskaja doktrina Rossijskoj Federacii na period do 2020 goda. [Marine doctrine Russian Federation for the period until 2020]. Utv. ukazom Prezidenta RF no. PR-1387 ot 27 ijulja 2001 g. (In Russian).
5. Materialy zasedanija Pravitel’stva RF ot 13 fevralja 2001 g. “O sostojanii i perspektivah razvitija nauchno-issledovatel’skogo flota Rossijskoj Federacii”. [Material of session Government Russian Federation under date of 13 February 2001 “About state and perspectives development of research fleet Russian Federation”]. (In Russian).
6. Koncepcija razvitija nauchno-issledovatel’skogo flota Ministerstva prirodnyh resursov Rossijskoj Federacii (MPR RF). [Conception of development of research fleet Ministry of natural resources of the Russian Federation (MPR RF)]. FGUP]. FGUP “VNIIOkeangeologija”. St. Petersburg, 2004. (In Russian).
7. Koncepcija razvitija nauchno-issledovatel’skogo flota Rossijskoj akademii nauk. [Conception of development of research fleet of the Russian Academy of Sciences]. Moscow, 2005. (In Russian).
8. Koncepcija razvitija nauchno-issledovatel’skogo flota Federal’noj sluzhby po gidrometeorologii i monitoringu okruzhajushhej sredy. [Conception of development of research fleet of the Federal Service for Hydrometeorology and Environmental Monitoring]. Moscow, 2004. (In Russian).
9. Avtomatizacija upravlenija sudami: Sbornik statej. [Automation of ship control: Collected works]. Otv. red. R. A. Nelepin. Leningrad, Sudostroenie, 1979. (In Russian).
10. Ashik V. V. Proektirovanie sudov: 2-e izd., pererab. i dop. [Ship design. 2nd Ed.). Leningrad, Sudostroenie, 1985, 318 p. (In Russian).
11. Bronnikov A. V. Teorija proektirovanija sudov. [Theory of ship design]. Leningrad, Sudostroenie, 1991, 320 p. (In Russian).
12. Nogid L. M. Proektirovanie morskih sudov. Vybor pokazatelej formy i opredelenie moshhnosti jenergeticheskoj ustanovki proektiruemogo sudna. [The choice of coefficients of the shape of the hull and calculation of engine output designed ship]. Leningrad, Sudostroenie, 1976, 400 p. (In Russian).
© 2011-2019 The Arctic: ecology and economy