Home Ľ Archive of journals Ľ Issue 4(36) 2019 Ľ “ransport and logistics system of the Northern Sea Route: prospects, problems and solutions
“RANSPORT AND LOGISTICS SYSTEM OF THE NORTHERN SEA ROUTE: PROSPECTS, PROBLEMS AND SOLUTIONSJOURNAL: 2019, Ļ4(36), p. 131-140
RUBRIC: Problems of the Northern Sea Route
AUTHORS: Zelenkov M.Y.
ORGANIZATIONS: Moscow State Academy of Water Transport†ó a branch of FSBEI HE ęAdmiral Makarov State University of Maritime and Inland ShippingĽ
The article was received on: 14.05.2019
Keywords: the Panama Canal, Northern Sea Route, Suez Canal, transport and logistics system, sea transport, commercial operation
Bibliographic description: Zelenkov M.Y. “ransport and logistics system of the Northern Sea Route: prospects, problems and solutions. Arctic: ecology and economy, 2019, no. 4(36), pp. 131-140. DOI: 10.25283/2223-4594-2019-4-131-140. (In Russian).
The article analyzes the elements of the transport and logistics system of the Northern Sea Route. Separate logistical aspects have been identified that have a significant impact on the commercial operation of the transport corridor and its development prospects compared to the Europe (USA) — Southeast Asia logistics chain using the Suez and Panama canals. Particular emphasis is placed on studying the relationship between the possibility of increasing the cargo turnover of the Northern Sea Route from the forecast estimates of ice melting in the Arctic zone and the commissioning of new nuclear icebreakers in the Russian Federation. Thereby the author takes into account both solidifying scientific works and alternative theoretical approaches and conclusions. The analysis of operational and technical problems leading to certain economic costs for the cargo transit along the Northern Sea Route has been carried out; strategic directions for their solution have been identified and justified.
1. Melting ice in the Arctic opening new energy trade route. Available at: https://www.straitstimes.com/world/melting-ice-in-the-arctic-is-opening-a-new-energy-trade-route.
2. Perevozki gruzov po Severnomu morskomu puti za 2018 god. [Transportation of goods by the Northern Sea Route for 2018]. Mor. porty, 2019, no. 1. p. 78. (In Russian).
3. Samofalova O. Sevmorputi ne khvatilo proryvnogo rosta. [NSR is not enough for breakthrough growth]. Available at: https://vz.ru/economy/2019/2/12/963715.html. (In Russian).
4. Razumnyi E. Pervyi szhizhennyi gaz otgruzhen s “Yamal SPG”. [The First liquefied natural gas shipped from “Yamal LNG”]. Vedomosti, 2017, 8 dek. (In Russian).
5. Kheifets B. Severnyi morskoi put’ — novyi tranzitnyi marshrut “Odnogo poyasa — odnogo puti”. [Northern sea route — a new transit route “One belt - one road”]. Available at: https://interaffairs.ru/jauthor/material/2047. (In Russian).
6. Volynchikov I. B. Razvitie konkurentosposobnosti Severnogo morskogo puti. [Development of competitiveness of the Northern sea route]. Vopr. ekonomiki i upravleniya, 2018, no. 2, pp. 36—39. (In Russian).
7. Hussein M. The challenges and risks of the arctic passages on the Suez Canal. Intern. J. of Mechanical Engineering (IJME) ISSN(P): 2319-2240; ISSN (E): 2319-2259, 2015, vol. 4, iss. 3, pp. 101—114.
8. Lee S., Song J. Economic Possibilities of Shipping though Northern Sea Route. The Asian J. of Shipping and Logistics, 2014, no. 3 (dec.), pp. 415—430.
9. The Suez Canal: A Growing Center for Global Commerce. Available at: http://www.egyptembassy.net/media/1129-2059_Egypt_SuezCanal_061915i1.pdf.
10. Number of pirate attacks against ships worldwide from 2009 to 2018. Available at: https://www.statista.com/statistics/266292/number-of-pirate-attacks-worldwide-since-2006/.
11. Arkharova E. I., Prokof’eva T. A., Sergeev V. I. Problemy razvitiya mezhdunarodnogo transportnogo koridora “Severnyi Morskoi Put’”. [Problems of development of the international transport corridor “The Northern Sea Route”]. Available at: http://www.lscm.ru/index.php/ru/avtoram/item/1079. (In Russian).
12. Bambulyak A. Shipping and the Northern Sea Route. Available at: https://www.kbnn.no/en/article/shipping-and-the-northern-searoute.
13. Ruksha V. V., Belkin M. S., Smirnov A. A., Arutyunyan V. G. Struktura i dinamika gruzoperevozok po Severnomu morskomu puti: istoriya, nastoyashchee i perspektivy. [The structure and dynamics of cargo transportation along the Northern Sea Route: history, present and prospects]. Arktika: ekologiya i ekonomika, 2015, no. 4 (20), p. 110. (In Russian).
14. Dolganov A. Severnyi morskoi put’ — tol’ko dlya Rossii. [The Northern sea route — only for Russia]. Voen. obozrenie, 2018, 27 febr. Available at: https://topwar.ru/136687-severnyy-morskoy-put-tolko-dlya-rossii.html. (In Russian).
15. Cheremnykh I. Severnyi morskoi put’ i Suetskii kanal. [The Northern Sea Route and the Suez Canal]. Delovye novosti, 2017, 24 apr. Available at: Available at://delonovosti.ru/analitika/3921-severnyy-morskoy-put-i-sueckiy-kanal.html. (In Russian).
16. Bekkers E., Francois J., Rojas-Romagosa H. Melting Ice Caps and the Economic Impact of Opening the Northern Sea Route. CPB Discussion Paper, 2015, no. 307, may, p. 4.
17. Kotlyar V. Ispol’zovanie ledokolov v akvatorii Severnogo morskogo puti dlya obespecheniya bezopasnosti moreplavaniya sudov pod inostrannym flagom: pravovye osnovy i slozhivshayasya praktika. [The Use of icebreakers in the waters of the Northern Sea Route to ensure the safety of navigation of ships under a foreign flag: the legal framework and current practice]. Available at: http://russiancouncil.ru/analytics-and-comments/analytics/ispolzovanie-ledokolov-v-akvatorii-severnogo-morskogo-puti-d/. (In Russian).
18. Zakvasin A. Arktika blizko: kakikh rezul’tatov dostigla Rossiya v osvoenii Severnogo morskogo puti. [Arctic close: What did Russia achieve in the Northern Sea Route development]. Available at: https://russian.rt.com/russia/article/465433-severnyi-morskoi-put. (In Russian).
© 2011-2020 Arctic: ecology and economy