Home » Archive of journals » Issue 4(32) 2018 » Mapping of plant species protected at the federal level in the Arctic zone of the Russian Federation
MAPPING OF PLANT SPECIES PROTECTED AT THE FEDERAL LEVEL IN THE ARCTIC ZONE OF THE RUSSIAN FEDERATIONJOURNAL: 2018, ¹4(32), p. 43-54
AUTHORS: Prisyazhnaya A.A., Kruglova S.A., Khrisanov V.R., Snakin V.V.
ORGANIZATIONS: Institute of Basic Biological Problems of the RAS, Lomonosov Moscow State University
The article was received on: 07.08.2018
Keywords: ecological mapping, the Red Book of the Russian Federation, rare and endangered species, categories of species rarity status
Bibliographic description: Prisyazhnaya A.A., Kruglova S.A., Khrisanov V.R., Snakin V.V. Mapping of plant species protected at the federal level in the Arctic zone of the Russian Federation. Arctic: ecology and economy, 2018, no. 4(32), pp. 43-54. DOI: 10.25283/2223-4594-2018-4-43-54. (In Russian).
The aim of this work is to study the peculiarities of the spatial distribution of plant species of the Russian Arctic listed in the Red Book of the Russian Federation. The analysis of the quantitative composition and ecological characteristics of protected plants is carried out. It is shown that out of the 76 species, 31 plant species are found only in the Russian Arctic, 23 species grow locally, 14 species are identified only in Russia, 21 species (subspecies) are recognized as endemic, only 6 species are listed in the IUCN Red List. It is noted that the proportion of protected bryophytes and lichens in the Russian Arctic is much higher than in Russia as a whole. The ratio of species with varying degrees of rarity, both for the entire territory of Russia and for the territory of the Russian Arctic is similar. It is established that the proportion of protected species in the total diversity of the corresponding taxonomic group of plants in the Arctic is almost half that of the whole country. For the first time, the article presents in its entirety cartographic material demonstrating the spatial distribution in the territory of the Russian Arctic of all plants listed in the Red Book of the Russian Federation. The data on species diversity and density of plant species protected at the federal level in the territories of the RF subjects included in the Russian Arctic are obtained. The territories with the highest species diversity of plants protected at the federal level are identified: these are the western and eastern regions of the Russian Arctic — the Murmansk Region and the Chukotka Autonomous National Area. Areas of species concentration of protected plants are identified: Wrangel Island, the Chukot Peninsula, the northern part of the territory of the Republic of Karelia, the Kola Peninsula, the Anadyr and the Lena watersheds.
1. Osnovy gosudarstvennoi politiki v Arktike na period do 2020 goda i dal’neishuyu perspektivu. Utv. Prezidentom RF 18 sentyabrya 2008 g. [The fundamentals of state policy in the Arctic for the period up to 2020 and further prospects. Approved by President of the Russian Federation 18.09.2008]. Available at: http://www.asgeos.ru/data/Files/File/432.pdf. (In Russian).
2. Tishkov A. A. “Arkticheskii vector” v sokhranenii nazemnykh ekosistem i bioraznoobraziya. [“Arctic vector” in conservation of terrestrial ecosystems and biodiversity]. Arktika: ekologiya i ekonomika, 2012, no. 2 (6), pp. 28—43. (In Russian).
3. Stishov M. S. Osobo okhranyaemye prirodnye territorii Rossiiskoi Arktiki: sovremennoe sostoyanie i perspektivy razvitiya. [Specially Protected Natural Territories of the Russian Arctic: Current Status and Prospects of Development]. Moscow, WWF, 2013, 427 p. (In Russian).
4. Sekretareva N. A. Sosudistye rasteniya Rossiiskoi Arktiki i sopredel’nykh territorii. [Vascular plants of the Russian Arctic and adjacent territories]. Moscow, Tovarishchestvo nauch. izd. KMK, 2004, 131 p. (In Russian).
5. Fedosov V. E., Ignatova E. A., Ignatov M. S. Mkhi Severa Rossii. [Mosses of the North of Russia]. Teoret. i prikladnaya ekologiya, 2014, no. 1, pp. 22—25. (In Russian).
6. Urbanavichyus G. P. Raznoobrazie i rasprostranenie lishainikov. [Variety and distribution of lichens]. Flora lishainikov Rossii: Biologiya, ekologiya, raznoobrazie, rasprostranenie i metody izucheniya lishainikov. Moscow, St. Petersburg, Tovarishchestvo nauch. izd. KMK, 2014, pp. 209—241. (In Russian).
7. Ukaz Prezidenta RF “O sukhoputnykh territoriyakh Arkticheskoi zony Rossiiskoi Federatsii” ot 2 maya 2014 g. ¹ 296. [The decree of the President of the Russian Federation “On the land territories of the Arctic zone of the Russian Federation” from 02.05.2014, no. 296]. Available at: http://static.kremlin.ru/media/acts/files/0001201405050030.pdf. (In Russian).
8. Ukaz Prezidenta RF “O vnesenii izmenenii v Ukaz Prezidenta Rossiiskoi Federatsii ot 2 maya 2014 g. ¹ 296 “O sukhoputnykh territoriyakh Arkticheskoi zony Rossiiskoi Federatsii” ot 27 iyunya 2017 g. ¹ 287. [Decree of the President of the Russian Federation of June “On Amending the Decree of the President of the Russian Federation of May 2, 2014 nî. 296 “On the Land Regions of the Arctic Zone of the Russian Federation” from 27, 2017, no. 287]. Available at: http://static.kremlin.ru/media/acts/files/0001201706270043.pdf. (In Russian).
9. Krasnaya kniga Rossiiskoi Federatsii (rasteniya i griby). [The Red Data Book of the Russian Federation (Plants and Fungi)]. Moscow, Tovarishchestvo nauch. izd. KMK, 2008, 885 p. (In Russian).
10. Tishkov A. A. Sokhranenie biologicheskogo raznoobraziya v Rossii. Preservation of biological diversity in Russia]. Rossiya v okruzhayushchem mire: 2005 (Analiticheskii ezhegodnik). Otv. red. N. N. Marfenin. Moscow, Modus_K; Eterna, 2006. pp. 82—124. (In Russian).
11. Talbot S. S., Yurtsev B. A., Murray D. F., Argus G. W., Bay C., Elvebakk A. Atlas of rare endemic vascular plants of the Arctic. Conservation of Arctic Flora and Fauna (CAFF) Technical Report no. 3. Anchorage, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, 1999, 73 p.
12. The IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Available at: http://www.iucnredlist.org/.
13. Urbanavichyus G. P. Osobennosti raznoobraziya likhenoflory Rossii. [Peculiarities of the diversity of lichen flora in Russia]. Izv. RAN. Ser. Geograf., 2011, no. 1, pp. 66—78. (In Russian).
© 2011-2020 Arctic: ecology and economy