Home » Archive of journals » Volume 11, No. 3, 2021 » The COVID-19 pandemic in the Russian Arctic: some socio-economic results of 2020
THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC IN THE RUSSIAN ARCTIC: SOME SOCIO-ECONOMIC RESULTS OF 2020JOURNAL: Volume 11, No. 3, 2021, p. 353-361
HEADING: Economics and management in the Arctic zone
AUTHORS: Korchak, E.A.
ORGANIZATIONS: Luzin Institute for Economic Studies — Subdivision of the Kola Science Centre of the RÀS
The article was received on: 06.06.2021
Keywords: Russian Arctic, labour market, unemployment, COVID-19, small and medium-sized businesses, indigenous population of the North
Bibliographic description: Korchak, E.A. The COVID-19 pandemic in the Russian Arctic: some socio-economic results of 2020. Arktika: ekologiya i ekonomika. [Arctic: Ecology and Economy], 2021, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 353-361. DOI: 10.25283/2223-4594-2021-3-353-361. (In Russian).
The relevance of this study is determined by the fundamentally new reality of the COVID-19 pandemic, which is expected will significantly exacerbate the systemic problems of the Russian Arctic, increase the need for state control over main spheres of life and produce precedents for changes in corporate governance practices in the Arctic. The study intends to identify the current socio-economic dynamics of the Russian Arctic regions under the COVID-19 pandemic. The author set the following objectives for her study: analysis of the COVID-19 pandemic as a threat to the economic security of the Russian Arctic, review of the actions of resource corporations and regional authorities under the COVID-19 pandemic, including in relation to the indigenous population of the North, and analysis of the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the economy of the Russian Arctic regions. Among the main socio-economic outcomes of 2020 for the Russian Arctic in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic, the author identifies a decline in economic activity and an increase in unemployment.
Finance info: The publication is based on the results of R&D work AAAA-A18-118051590115-9.
Ahmed M. Y., Sarkodie S. A. How COVID-19 pandemic may hamper sustainable economic development. J. of Public Affairs, 2021, no. e2675. DOI: 10.1002/pa.2675.
2. Kufelova I., Rakova M. Impact of the Covid-19 pandemic on the automotive industry in Slovakia and selected countries. SHS Web of Conferences, 2020, vol. 83, p. 01040. DOI: 10.1051/shsconf/20208301040.
3. Impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic on EU industries. Available at: https://www.europarl.europa.eu/RegData/etudes/STUD/2021/662903/IPOL_STU(2021)662903_EN.pdf.
4. Biswas An., Ghosh Ab., Kar A., Mondal T., Ghosh B., Bardhan Pr. K. The impact of COVID-19 in the construction sector and its remedial measures. J. of Physics: Conference Series, 2021, no. 1797, p. 012054. DOI: 10.1088/1742-6596/1797/1/012054.
5. Dorzhieva V. V. Ñonstruction industry: development trends, impact of the pandemic, and conditions for recovery growth in the context of structural modernization. Nauch. trudy Vol’nogo ekon. o-va Rossii, 2020, vol. 223, no. 3, pp. 237—243. DOI: 10.38197/2072-2060-2020-223-3-237-243. (In Russian).
6. Lemieux Th., Milligan K., Schirle T., Skuterud M. Initial Impacts of the COVID-19 Pandemic on the Canadian Labour Market. Canadian Public Policy, 2020, vol. 46, no. S1, pp. S55—S65. DOI: 10.3138/cpp.2020-049.
7. Finland: road to recovery after COVID-19. Available at: https://www.oecd.org/sdd/its/Finland-COVID-Report-
8. Tiirinki H., Tynkkynen L.-K., Sovala Ì., Atkins S., Koivusalo M., Rautiainen P., Jormanainen V., Keskimäkia I. COVID-19 pandemic in Finland — Preliminary analysis on health system response and economic consequences. Health Policy Technology, 2020, no. 9 (4), pp. 649—662. DOI: 10.1016/j.hlpt.2020.08.005.
9. Hilmola O.-P., Lähdeaho O., Henttu V., Hilletofth P. Covid-19 Pandemic: Early Implications for North European Manufacturing and Logistics. Sustainability, 2020, no. 12, p. 8315. DOI: 10.3390/su12208315.
10. Ursin G., Skjesol I.,Tritterc J. The COVID-19 pandemic in Norway: The dominance of social implications in framing the policy response. Health Policy and Technology, 2020, vol. 9, iss. 4, pð. 663—672. DOI: 10.1016/j.hlpt.2020.08.004.
11. The COVID-19 pandemic and regional economic resilience in Northern Finland, Norway and Sweden. Available at: https://www.oulu.fi/sites/default/files/content/files/THE%20COVID-19%20PANDEMIC%20AND%20THE%20REGIONAL%20ECONOMIC%20RESILIENCE%20IN%20NORTHERN%20FINLAND%2C%20NORWAY%2C%20AND%20SWEDEN_0.pdf.
12. Gordon D. V., Grafton R. Q., Steinshamn S. I. Cross-country effects and policy responses to COVID-19 in 2020: The Nordic countries. Economic Analysis and Policy, 2021, vol. 71, pp. 198—210. DOI: 10.1016/j.eap.2021.04.015.
13. Overview of EU actions in the Arctic and their impact. Final Report. June 2021. Available at: https://eprd.pl/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/EU-Policy-Arctic-Impact-Overview-Final-Report.pdf.
14. Kashepov A. V. Excess mortality in 2020—2021. Vestn. Altaiskoi akademii ekonomiki i prava, 2021, no. 5-2, pp. 200—207. DOI: 10.17513/vaael.1706. (In Russian).
15. Govorova N. V. Development of human potential of the AZRF (demographic aspect). Vestn. In-ta mirovyh tsivilizaysii, 2020, vol. 11, no. 1 (26), pp. 69—73. (In Russian).
16. Gogolev N. M., Burceva T. E., Avrusin S. L., Mel’nikova L. N., Batilova T. V., Chasnyk V. G. Scale of the territory and peculiarities of medical provision of the population in the Arctic zone of the Republic of Sakha (Yakutia). Pediatr, 2019, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 61—66. DOI: 10.17816/PED10461-66. (In Russian).
17. Covid-19 in the Arctic: Briefing Document for Senior Arctic Officials. Available at: https://www.unak.is/static/files/pdf-skjol/2020/covid-19-in-the-arctic-briefing-to-saos_for-public-release.pdf.
18. Vizhina I. A., Zolotovskaya Y. B. Analysis of projects and social effects of the development strategy of Yamal-Nenets Autonomous Okrug until 2030. Vestn. Novosib. gos. un-ta. Ser. Sots.-ekon. nauki, 2015, vol. 15, iss. 3, pp. 64—72. (In Russian).
19. Skufyina T. P., Korchak E. A., Baranov S. V. Chimeras of the Past and Navigation through the Latest Development Conditions, Risks and Opportunities for Managing the Russian Arctic. Arktika i Sever, 2021, no. 43, pp. 45—76. DOI: 10.37482/issn2221-2698.2021.43.45. (In Russian).
20. Annual report of the Governor of the Nenets Autonomous Okrug on the performance of the Administration of the Nenets Autonomous Okrug in 2020. Available at: https://adm-nao.ru/media/uploads/userfiles/2021/05/07/Åæåãîäíûé_îò÷åò_ãóáåðíàòîðà_ÍÀÎ_çà_2020_ãîä.pdf. (In Russian).
21. Ragulina M. V. Cultural Aspects of Ethnoeconomics and Food Security of Indigenous Peoples of the North: Approaches to Research. Vestnik Evraziiskoi nauki, 2018, no. 4. pp. 1—9. DOI: 10.15862/55ECVN418. (In Russian).
© 2011-2021 Arctic: ecology and economy