Home » Archive of journals » Issue 3(35) 2019 » Strategy formation for reindeer farming development in the Arctic sub-region of the Russian European North-East
STRATEGY FORMATION FOR REINDEER FARMING DEVELOPMENT IN THE ARCTIC SUB-REGION OF THE RUSSIAN EUROPEAN NORTH-EASTJOURNAL: 2019, ¹3(35), p. 135-145
HEADING: Regional problems
AUTHORS: Ivanov V.A.
ORGANIZATIONS: Institute of socio-economic and energy problems of the North, Komi Science Centre Ural Branch of the RÀS
The article was received on: 07.05.2019
Keywords: Arctic and subarctic territories of the European northeast of Russià, development strategy, strategic management, reindeer farming
Bibliographic description: Ivanov V.A. Strategy formation for reindeer farming development in the Arctic sub-region of the Russian European North-East. Arctic: ecology and economy, 2019, no. 3(35), pp. 135-145. DOI: 10.25283/2223-4594-2019-3-135-145. (In Russian).
In the context of market reforms in the reindeer farming, many problems have accumulated, accompanied by a decrease in the reindeer livestock, a reduction in the industry profitability, a narrowing of the product sales market, a fall in the living standards of reindeer farmers. Sustainable development of reindeer farming is based on its strategic management. Strategic management will eliminate the prevailing approach to solving the current tactical problems of the industry. Regulatory framework for the strategy development is the Federal Law “On Strategic Planning in the Russian Federation”. The article discloses methodological approaches to the strategic management of the reindeer farming sustainable development. The industry development trends, its problems and risks are identified. The strategic analysis based on the study of the external and internal environment is carried out, the strengths and weaknesses, opportunities and threats of the reindeer farming development in the Arctic sub-region are evaluated on the example of the Komi Republic and the Nenets Autonomous District. The strategy objectives have been defined, which envisage the sustainable development of reindeer farming as an ethno-forming industry, its modernization, and significant improvement in social and living conditions and living standards of reindeer farmers. To achieve these goals, priority areas of the reindeer farming development have been identified and a scenario forecast of results has been made. It is determined that the most acceptable is the optimistic scenario founded on strengthening the material and technical base, deep processing of reindeer products, active protectionist policy of the state, attracting qualified specialists to the industry. The Strategy mechanism, including the tools for regulatory, organizational and financial support, has been developed. The legal mechanism provides for the development of regulatory documents handling the reindeer farming. The organizational one provides methodological, consulting and information support, the strategy implementation and monitoring, optimization of reindeer pastures, formation of marketing strategy, designing of programs and plans for the reindeer farming development. The financial instruments include federal and regional budget funds, financial resources of resource-producing enterprises, owned funds of reindeer farms, and affordable preferential bank loans. The obtained methodological and practical recommendations can be used by the regional and municipal authorities of the Komi Republic and the NAD when designing strategies and programs for sustainable socio-economic development of reindeer farming.
1. Pomishin S. B. Proiskhozhdenie olenevodstva i domestikatsiya severnogo olenya. [Òhe Origin of reindeer herding and the domestication of the reindeer]. Moscow, Nauka, 1990, 141 p. (In Russian).
2. Syrovatskii D. I. Ekonomika i organizatsiya olenevodcheskogo proizvodstva. [Economy and organization of reindeer herding production]. Yakutsk, 2000, 408 p. (In Russian).
3. Babushkin A. I. Bol’shezemel’skaya tundra. [Bolshezemelskaya tundra]. Syktyvkar, Izd. Komi obstatotdela, 1930, 209 p. (In Russian).
4. Yuzhakov A. A. Severnoe olenevodstvo v XXI v.: geneticheskii resurs, kul’turnoe nasledie i biznes. [Northern reindeer breeding in the twenty-first century: genetic resource, cultural heritage and business]. Arktika: ekologiya i ekonomika, 2017,no. 2 (26), pp. 131—137. DOI: 10.25283/2223-4594-2017-2-131-137. (In Russian).
5. Pal’mer L. Issledovanie pastbishch dlya severnykh olenei na Alyaske. [Òhe Study of pastures for reindeer in Alaska]. Sbornik trudov veterinar. in-ta. Vol. 8. Leningrad, 1927. (In Russian).
6. Vostryakov P. N. Zarubezhnyi opyt severnogo olenevodstva. [Foreign experience in reindeer husbandry]. Povyshenie produktivnosti severnogo olenevodstva. Moscow, Kolos, 1975, pp. 76—91. (In Russian).
7. D’yachenko N. O., Mukhachev A. D., Arshavskii S. A. Metodicheskie rekomendatsii po izgorodnomu soderzhaniyu olenei. [Methodical recommendations on the content sharedname deer]. Noril’sk, 1974, 31 p. (In Russian).
8. Ivanova G. V., Mashistova A. V., Gavrilova P. A. Izgorodi na olen’ikh pastbishchakh Murmanskoi olenevodcheskoi opytnoi stantsii. [Hedges on reindeer pastures Murmansk reindeer experiment station]. Sbornik nauchnykh rabot Murmanskoi olenevodcheskoi opytnoi stantsii. — Iss. 2. Murmansk, 1973, pp. 97—103. (In Russian).
9. Federal’nyi zakon“O strategicheskom planirovanii v Rossiiskoi Federatsii” [Federal Law “On strategic planning in the Russian Federation”] ot 28 iyunya 2014 g. no. 172-FZ. (In Russian).
10. Osnovnye proizvodstvenno-ekonomicheskie pokazateli razvitiya APK raionov Krainego Severa i priravnennykh k nim mestnostei v 1991, 1997—1999 godakh. [The main production and economic indicators of agricultural development in the Far North and equated areas in 1991, 1997—1999]. Moscow, Informagrotekh, 2000. (In Russian).
11. Ivanov V. A., Pozdeev P. I., Evdokimova T. V. Severnoe olenevodstvo: sostoyanie, zakonodatel’no-pravovaya baza i problem razvitiya. [Northern reindeer husbandry: state, legal framework and development problems]. Syktyvkar, SLI, 2001, 219 p. (In Russian).
12. Elsakov V. V. Operativnaya resursnaya otsenka pastbishchnykh ugodii severnogo olenya po spektrozonal’nym sputnikovym dannym. [Operational resource assessment of reindeer pastures on the basis of spectrozonal satellite data]. Sovrem. Problem distants. Zondirovaniya Zemli iz kosmosa, 2014, no. 1, pp. 60—70. (In Russian).
13. Getsen M. V. Vodorosli v ekosistemakh Krainego Severa. [Algae in ecosystems of the far North]. Leningrad, Nauka, 1985, 165 p. (In Russian).
14. Tishkov A. A. Prirodnye ekosistemy i bioraznoobrazie Rossiiskoi Arktiki: sostoyanie, sokhranenie i ispol’zovanie bioresursov. [Natural ecosystems and biodiversity of the Russian Arctic: state, conservation and use of biological resources]. Sever kak ob"ekt kompleksnykh regional’nykh issledovanii. Otv. red. V. N. Lazhentsev. Syktyvkar, 2005, pp. 7—35. (In Russian).
15. Ivanov V. A., Bezumov L. V. Olenevodstvo Severa. [Reindeer’s North Region]. Region, 2013, no. 7, pp. 36—39. (In Russian).
16. Bukhval’d E. M. Strategicheskoe planirovanie — institutsional’naya osnova perekhoda k ustoichivomu razvitiyu rossiiskoi ekonomiki. [Strategic planning— institutional basis of transition to sustainable development of the Russian economy]. Federalizm, 2016, no. 1, pp. 19—30. (In Russian).
17. Zhitkov V. Metodologicheskie i institutsional’nye kontury sistemy gosudarstvennogo planirovaniya. [Methodological and institutional contours of the system of state planning]. Ekonomist, 2018, no. 1, pp. 14—28. (In Russian).
18. Knyazev Yu. O narodnokhozyaistvennom planirovanii v rossiiskoi rynochnoi ekonomike. [On national economic planning in the Russian market economy]. Ekonomist, 2018, no. 6, pp. 3—20. (In Russian).
19. Sukharev O. Ekonomicheskii rost Rossii: razlichiya v podkhodakh k vyboru traektorii razvitiya (otvet “liberalism”). [Economic growth of Russia: differences in approaches to the choice of the trajectory of development (the answer is “liberalism”)]. Ekonomist, 2017, no. 2, pp. 10—25. (In Russian).
20. Tambovtsev V. L. Programmno-tselevoe planirovanie: vchera, segodnya... Zavtra? [Programmno-target planning: yesterday, today... Tomorrow?]. Vopr. ekonomiki, 2016, no. 6, pp. 76—90. (In Russian).
© 2011-2020 Arctic: ecology and economy