Home » Archive of journals » Issue 1(29) 2018 » Innovative developments of Krylov State Research Centre to improve the safety and reliability of vessels with podded trust units in extreme ice conditions
INNOVATIVE DEVELOPMENTS OF KRYLOV STATE RESEARCH CENTRE TO IMPROVE THE SAFETY AND RELIABILITY OF VESSELS WITH PODDED TRUST UNITS IN EXTREME ICE CONDITIONSJOURNAL: 2018, ¹1(29), p. 92-103
RUBRIC: Shipbuilding for the Arctic
AUTHORS: Belyashov V.A., Vasilev N.V., Makarov V.V., Pautov L.G.
ORGANIZATIONS: Krylov State Research Centre
The article was received on: 01.12.2017
Keywords: podded propulsion units, icebreaking vessel, icebreaker propeller, electric propulsion control system
Bibliographic description: Belyashov V.A., Vasilev N.V., Makarov V.V., Pautov L.G. Innovative developments of Krylov State Research Centre to improve the safety and reliability of vessels with podded trust units in extreme ice conditions. The Arctic: ecology and economy, 2018, no. 1(29), pp. 92-103. DOI:10.25283/2223-4594-2018-1-92-103. (In Russian).
The increasing demands to safety and reliability of vessels in ice conditions requires new approaches to ensure the reliability of the propeller.
Traditional passive approach involves the creation of a constructive margin of the blades. The resulting significant decrease in their efficiency on pure water, however it does not guarantee against damage due to high uncertainty of loads, characteristic for extreme ice conditions. The problem is compounded by the widespread use on icebreaking ships podded thrust units (POD), much more vulnerable and much less studied in ice conditions than the propellers on the shafts coming out of the hull.
In addition to the traditional proposed a proactive approach based on the comprehensive monitoring of parameters of the propulsion and use of monitoring data in control system of ship motion. This approach will allow us to assess both the technical status and the operating mode of propulsion and use these assessments to identify and putting the ship out of dangerous situations.
Presented the latest developments of Krylov State Research Centre for the implementation of the proposed approach in relation to modern icebreaking vessels with the POD: built-in system of comprehensive monitoring of the RMC, ensuring the collection of objective data and evaluation of current operating mode and technical condition of the POD; intelligent control system of ship motion, able to use monitoring data for safe withdrawal of the POD and of the vessel from a dangerous situation.
Together, these two systems will reduce the risks of breakdowns of the POD due to prevent the escalation of dangerous situations in an emergency and to save technical resource of the POD by reducing working time in dangerous and emergency modes.
1. Andryushin A. V. Analiz opyta ekspluatatsii grebnykh vintov sudov ledovogo plavaniya i ledokolov. [Analysis of experience of operation of propellers of ice ships and icebreakers]. Mor. vestn., 2006, no. 2 (18), pp. 98—101. (In Russian).
2. Sergeev A. A., Ivanov M. Yu., Serov A. V., Semionichev D. S. Osobennosti ekspluatatsii grebnykh vintov sovremennykh sudov ledovogo plavaniya i razvitie pravil Registra. [Features of operation of propellers of modern ice ships and the development of the Rules of the Register]. Nauch.-tekhn. sb. Ros. mor. registra sudokhodstva, 2014, no. 37, pp. 42—45. (In Russian).
3. Borusevich V. O., Gabertsettel’ F. I., Pustoshnyi A. V., Frolova I. G. O razvitii trebovanii k dvizhitelyam sudov dvoinogo deistviya. [On the development of requirements to the propulsion of double-action vessels]. Nauch.-tekhn. sb. Ros. mor. registra sudokhodstva, 2015, no. 38-39, pp. 94—97. (In Russian).
4. Alekseev Yu. N., Belyashov V. A., Shpakov V. S. Issledovanie napryazhenii v lopasti grebnogo vinta ledokola v naturnykh usloviyakh. [A study of the stresses in the blades of the propeller of an icebreaker in situ]. Tr. TsNII im. akad. A. N. Krylova, 1978, iss. 286, pp. 69—76. (In Russian).
5. Koskinen P., Jussila M. Potkurin lavan jääkuormien pitkäaikaismittaus m/s Gudingenilla [Long term measurements of ice loads on propeller blade of M/S Gudingen]. Tiedotteita / Valtion teknillinen tutkimuskeskus. Espoo, Technical Research Centre of Finland, 1991, 46 p. + app. 118 p. (Research Notes 1260). (In Finnish).
6. Andryushin A. V. Analiz naturnykh ledovykh nagruzok na lopasti grebnogo vinta reguliruemogo shaga arkticheskogo ledokola. [Analysis of full-scale ice loads on CPP-propeller blades of Arctic icebreaker]. Problemy morskoi ledotekhniki i okeanotekhniki. St. Petersburg, TsNII im. A. N. Krylova, 2005. (Tr. TsNII im. akad. A. N. Krylova; iss. 24 (308)). (In Russian).
7. Printsipy diagnostiki tekhnicheskogo sostoyaniya oborudovaniya po parametram vibratsii: Tekhnicheskii otchet po kontaktu S001-08 RU11CSTC TR09 004-RSD15610753535991281. [Principles of diagnostics of the equipment technical condition on vibration parameters. Technical contract report S001-08 RU11CSTC TR09 004-RSD15610753535991281]. St. Petersburg, FGUP “TsNII im. akad. A. N. Krylova”, 2009. (In Russian).
8. Razrabotka i ispytanie na opytnom obraztse tekhnologii kompleksnogo monitoringa dvizhitel’no-rulevykh kolonok ledovykh sudov s elektrodvizheniem: Otchet ob OKR “KM DRK SED”, zaklyuchitel’nyi. [Develop and test with prototype a technology of comprehensive monitoring of podded thrust unit of ice vessels with electric propulsion system. Technical report]. St. Petersburg, GNTs RF FGUP “TsNII im. akad. A. N. Krylova”, 2016. (Iss. 48564). (In Russian).
9. Razrabotka sistemy upravleniya elektrodvizheniem, integrirovannoi s sistemoi kompleksnogo monitoringa dvizhitel’no-rulevykh kolonok i korpusnykh konstruktsii dlya sudov ledovogo klassa i ledokolov: Otchet ob OKR “Kolonka-SU”, itogovyi. [Development of a electric propulsion system integrated with a comprehensive monitoring system of podded thrust unit and hull structures for ice-class vessels and icebreakers. Technical report]. St. Petersburg, GNTs RF FGUP “TsNII im. akad. A. N. Krylova”, 2016. (Iss. 48569). (In Russian).
10. Rules for classification of ships. Pt. 5, chap. 1. Det Norske Veritas AS, 2013.
11. Pravila klassifikatsii i postroiki morskikh sudov. T. 2, ch. 7, razd. 5. [Rules for the classification and construction of sea-going ships. Part VII, Chapter 5]. St. Petersburg, Ros. mor. registr sudokhodstva, 2015. (In Russian).
12. Myshinskii E. L. Bor’ba s vibratsiei i shumom v inzhenernoi praktike. [The suppression of vibration and noise in engineering practice]. TsNII im. akad. A. N. Krylova. St. Petersburg, 2011. (In Russian).
13. Rukovodstvo po tekhnicheskomu nablyudeniyu za sudami v ekspluatatsii. Ch. 2: Tekhnicheskoe nablyudenie za sudami v ekspluatatsii v sootvetstvii s pravilami registra. [Guidelines on Technical Supervision of Ships in Service. Part II, Carrying out classification surveys of ships]. St. Petersburg, Ros. mor. registr sudokhodstva, 2004. (In Russian).
© 2011-2019 The Arctic: ecology and economy