Home » Archive of journals » Issue 1(37) 2020 » Development of methods for determining ice loads and requirements for ice reinforcement structures
DEVELOPMENT OF METHODS FOR DETERMINING ICE LOADS AND REQUIREMENTS FOR ICE REINFORCEMENT STRUCTURESJOURNAL: 2020, ¹1(37), p. 65-81
HEADING: Shipbuilding for the Arctic
AUTHORS: Appolonov E.M., Platonov V.V., Tryaskin V.N.
ORGANIZATIONS: Krylov State Research Centre, State Marine Technical University, Central Design Bureau «Lazurit»
UDC: 629.543, 629.5.023
The article was received on: 16.01.2020
Keywords: Methods for determining ice loads, ice reinforcement requirements, Rules of classification societies
Bibliographic description: Appolonov E.M., Platonov V.V., Tryaskin V.N. Development of methods for determining ice loads and requirements for ice reinforcement structures. Arctic: ecology and economy, 2020, no. 1(37), pp. 65-81. DOI: 10.25283/2223-4594-2020-1-65-81. (In Russian).
Authors present an analysis of the development of methods for determining ice loads and the requirements for ice reinforcement designs. It covers from those ones based on purely empirical approaches to those arising from modern physical ideas about the interaction of the vessel hull with ice. The requirements for ice reinforcements that are most widely used in practical design are more detailed: Finnish-Swedish requirements, which were developed in the early 70s of the last century and are still the basis in foreign practice for designing ice reinforcement structures of ships to be operated in relatively light ice conditions; Canadian vessel hull requirements to prevent pollution of the Canadian Arctic; requirements developed by Russian experts, included in the Rules of the Russian Maritime Register of Shipping, which are basic for ships operating in the Russian Arctic; unified requirements of the International Association of Classification Societies (IACS) for polar vessels, based on the Canadian and Russian approaches, included in the Rules of Classification Societies — the IACS Members.
1. Runeberg R. I. O parokhodakh dlya zimnego plavaniya i ledokolakh. [About steamers for winter navigation and icebreakers]. Sb. In-tf putey soobshcheniya [St. Petersburg], 1890, iss. 17. (In Russian).
2. Afonas’ev V. I. Materialy po izucheniyu dvizheniya sudna. Ch. 3. Ledokoly. [Materials for studying the movement of the ship. Pt. 3. Icebreakers]. St. Petersburg, 1899, ð. 50. (In Russian).
3. Makarov S. “Ermak” vo l’dakh. [“Yermak” in the ice]. St. Petersburg, 1901. (In Russian).
4. Andrienko V. G. Ledokol’nyy flot Rossii 1860-e — 1918 gg. [Russian icebreaking fleet 1860—1918]. Moscow, Paulsen, 2009, 536 ð. (In Russian).
5. Papkovich P. F. Eksperimental’nye issledovaniya sudov arkticheskogo plavaniya. Trudy po prochnosti korablya. [Experimental studies of Arctic navigation vessels. Transactions on the strength of the ship]. Leningrad, Sudpromgiz, 1956, ðð. 300—305. (In Russian).
6. Maslov A. I. Opyt rascheta vneshnikh usiliy, deystvuyushchikh na korpus sudna v ledovykh usloviyakh. [Experience in calculating external forces acting on the ship’s hull in ice conditions]. Trudy VNII TOSS, 1937, vol. 2, iss. 3, pp. 129—132. (In Russian).
7. Vinogradov I. V. Suda ledovogo plavaniya. [Ice going vessels]. Moscow, Oborongiz, 1946, 240 ð. (In Russian).
8. Shimanskiy Yu. A. Uslovnye izmeriteli ledovykh kachestv sudov. [Conditional measures of ice qualities of vessels]. Trudy AANII, 1938, vol. 130. (In Russian).
9. Davydov V. V. Krepost’ ledokol’nykh sudov. [Fortress of icebreaking vessels]. Moskow, Sudostroenie, 1937. (Nî. 2, ONTI). (In Russian).
10. Davydov V. V. Teoreticheskie issledovaniya udara korablya o l’dinu. [Theoretical studies of the impact of a ship on an ice floe]. Problemy Arktiki, 1938, nî. 5-6. (In Russian).
11. Shapiro G. S. Polubeskonechnaya plastina na uprugom osnovanii. [Semi-infinite plate on an elastic base]. Prikladnaya matematika i mekhanika, 1943, vol. 7, nî. 4. (In Russian).
12. Golushkevich S. S. O nekotorykh zadachakh izgiba ledyanogo pokrova. [On some problems of bending of the ice cover]. Leningrad, Oborongiz, 1947, 231 ð. (In Russian).
13. Gil’man L. S. Opredelenie napryazheniy v plavayushchey ledyanoy plite, ograni-chennoy pryamolineynoy kromkoy ot deystviya nagruzki, prilozhennoy k kromke. [Determination of stresses in a floating ice plate bounded by a straight edge from the action of a load applied to the edge]. Trudy VITU VMF, 1943, iss. 4. (In Russian).
14. Registr SSSR. Pravila klassifikatsii i postroyki morskikh sudov. [Rules for the Classification and Construction of Sea-Going Ships]. Leningrad, Transport, 1970, vol. 1. (In Russian).
15. Finnish-Swedish Ice Class Rules, Finnish Board of Navigation. Helsinki, 1971.
16. Johansson B. M. On the Ice Strengthening of Ship Hulls. International Shipbuilding Progress, 1967, vol. 14, June, no. 154.
17. Tryaskin V. N. Voprosy proektirovaniya konstruktsiy sudov ledovogo plavaniya. [Design issues of hull side structures of vessels for ice navigation.]. Sudostroenie za rubezhom. Suda ledovogo plavaniya, 1981, nî. 3 (171), ðð. 84—106. (In Russian).
18. Board of Navigation Ice Class Rules. Finnish Maritime Administration, No. 2575/85/37, 02.09.1985.
19. DnV-GL Rules for Classification. Ships. Edition July 2018. Part 6 Additional class notation. Chap. 6. Cold climate. Sect. 2. Ice strengthening for the Northen Baltic — Ice.
20. Arctic shipping Pollution Prevention Regulations. Canadian Gazette, 1972, Pt. II, 106, nî. 16.
21. Kheysin D. E. Opredelenie ledovykh nagruzok, deystvuyushchikh na korpus sudna, plavayushchego vo l’dakh. [Determination of ice loads acting on the hull of a ship floating in ice]. Avtoref. dis. ... kand. tekhn. nauk. AANII. Leningrad, 1962, 17 ð. (In Russian).
22. Popov Yu. N. K voprosu ob udare sudna o l’dinu. [To the question on the impact of the vessel with ice floe]. Trudy LKI, 1955, iss. 15. (In Russian).
23. Trebovaniya k postroyke sudov ledovogo plavaniya i ikh klassifikatsiya. [Requirements for the construction of ice going vessels and their classification]. Leningrad, Izd. AANII, 1964. (In Russian).
24. Pravila klassifikatsii i postroyki morskikh sudov. [Rules for the Classification and Construction of Sea-Going Ships]. Vol. 1. Leningrad, Òransport, 1974. (Registr SSSR). (In Russian).
25. Kheysin D. E. K opredeleniyu kontaktnykh davleniy, deystvuyushchikh v zone udara sudna o led. [To the determination of contact pressures acting in the zone of impact of a vessel on ice]. Problemy Arktiki i Antarktiki, 1966, iss. 22, ðð. 43—51. (In Russian).
26. Kurdyumov V. A., Kheysin D. E. Gidrodinamicheskaya model’ udara tverdogo tela o led. [Hydrodynamic model of a solid body impact on the ice]. Prikladnaya mekhanika, 1976, vol. 12, nî. 10, ðð. 104—109. (In Russian).
27. Kurdyumov V. A., Kheysin D. E. K opredeleniyu ledovykh nagruzok, deystvuyushchikh na korpus ledokola pri udare. [To determination of the ice loads acting on the icebreaker’s hull at impact]. Trudy LKI, 1975, iss. 90. (In Russian).
28. Kurdyumov V. A., Tryaskin V. N., Kheysin D. E. Opredelenie ledovoy nagruzki i otsenka ledovoy prochnosti korpusov transportnykh sudov. [Determination of ice load and assessment of ice strength of hulls of transport vessels]. Trudy LKI: Ledoprokhodimost’ i ledovaya prochnost’ morskikh sudov. Leningrad, 1979, ðð. 3—12. (In Russian).
29. Kheysin D. E. Prochnost’ ledyanogo polya pod deystviem nagruzki, prilozhennoy k kromke. [The strength of the ice field under the load applied to the edge]. Trudy AANII, 1960, iss. 237, ðð. 133—152. (In Russian).
30. Proposals for the Revision of the Arctic Shipping Pollution Prevention Regulations. Vol. 1: Background; Vol. 2: Regulations. TP#9981. Report of Sub-Committee for Canadian Cost Guard Arctic Ship Safety.
31. Timco G. W., Frederking R. M. W. Drop impact tests on freshwater ice: spherical head. Proceeding of the 10th IAHR Ice Symposium, vol. 11, Espoo, Finland, Aug. 20—23, 1990, pp. 776—787.
32. Timco G. W., Frederking R. M. W. Laboratory impact tests on freshwater ice. Cold Region Science and Technology, 1993, vol. 22, pp. 77—97.
33. Frederking R. M. W., Jordaan I. J., McCallum J. S. Field tests of ice indentation of medium scale Hobson’s choice ice island. Proceeding of the 10th IAHR Ice Symposium, vol. 11, Espoo, Finland, Aug. 20—23, 1990, pp. 931—944.
34. Ritch R., John J. St., Browne R., Sheinberg R. Ice load impact measurements on the CCGS Louis S. St. Laurent during the 1994 Arctic Ocean Crossing. Proceeding of the 18th International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering. July 11—16, 1999, St. John’s Newfoundland, paper OMAE99/P&A-1141.
35. Appolonov E. M., Didkovskiy A. V., Kuteynikov M. A., Nesterov A. B. Sover-shenstvovanie metodologii opredeleniya ledovykh nagruzok. [Improvement of the methodology for determining ice loads]. Nauchno-tekhnicheskiy sbornik RMRS, 2002, iss. 25, ðð. 83—100. (In Russian).
36. Appolonov E. M. Proektirovanie konstruktsiy ledovykh usileniy po kriteriyu predel’noy prochnosti. [Design of ice strengthening structures based on the ultimate strength criterion]. Sudostroenie, 1992, nî. 2, ðð. 9—12. (In Russian).
37. Appolonov E. M., Nesterov A. S. The investigation of ice damage and increase of the requirements to ice strength of Arctic ships. Proceeding of the 13th International Conference “POAC’95”. Vol. 1. Murmansk, Russia, 1995.
38. Appolonov E. M., Nesterov A. B. Criteria and methods for assessment of strength of Arctic ships and icebreakers ice strengthenings. Proceeding of the 6th International Conference POLARTECH’96. Workshop B. St. Petersburg, Russia, 1996.
39. Appolonov E. M. Ledovaya prochnost’ sudov, prednaznachennykh dlya kruglogodich-noy arkticheskoy navigatsii. [Ice strength of ships for all-year-round Arctic navigation.]. St. Petersburg, Izd-vo SPbGMTU, 2016, 288 ð. (In Russian).
40. Requirements Concerning Polar Class, International Association of Classification societies UR I1 & I2, 2016.
41. Daley C. G. Background Notes to Design Ice Loads — IACS Unified Requirements for Polar Ships. Prepared for IACS Ad-Hoc Group on Polar Class Ships and Transport, Canada, January 2000.
42. Appolonov E. M., Nesterov A. B. A model of ice dynamic failure under local crushing. Proceedings of Third International Shipbuilding Conference ISC’2002, section C. St.-Petersburg, 2002, pp. 77—84.
43. Appolonov E. M., Platonov V. V. Novaya model’ dinamicheskogo razrusheniya l’da, kak osnova dlya sovershenstvovaniya trebovaniy Pravil Registra k ledo-vym usileniyam sudov i ledokolov. [New model of dynamic ice failure as basis for improvement of RS requirements to ice belts of ice-going ships and icebreakers]. Trudy Krylov. gos. nauch. tsentra, 2019, nî. 4 (390), ðð. 99—116. (In Russian).
44. Appolonov E. M., Platonov V. V., Tryaskin V. N. Sovershenstvovanie trebovaniy Pravil Registra k ledovym usileniyam sudov i ledokolov. [Improvement of RS ice strengthening requirements for ice-class vessels and icebreakers]. Trudy Krylov. gos. nauch. tsentra, 2018, nî. 3 (385), ðð. 18—28. (In Russian).
© 2011-2020 Arctic: ecology and economy